Will this control effect Concierge?

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Hi All,

Im looking to use this control in my own Surface application, but I also want to run Concierge, which, in the instruction, states that you MUST NOT upgrade virtual earth at any time as the version distributed with the Concierge application is the only one supported.

I can see that you must install 3D maps to get your control working, but I cannot afford for it to affect Concierge, can someone please let me know if this will affect it?

Thanks,

Mark

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Bing Maps 3D is a pre-requisite for running InfoStrat.VE.

If you are running the latest version of Concierge (SP1) then you should also have the latest version of Bing Maps 3D installed already.  The code available from the Source Code tab, changeset 23079, works with the latest version of Bing Maps 3D as well.

In the worst case, you can still download InfoStrat.VE, compile and attempt to run it.  If it works then you are good to go.  If not then no harm done. 

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Thanks for the reply Josh, thats good info to know

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM

In fact, if you want the old version of Concierge to run while you are using Infostrat.VE, you can manually add the assembly to the GAC (using gacutil.exe).

To make it clear:

- install VE3D (Bing maps 3D now) on a sandbox/dev machine (http://bing.com/maps/ click 3D.. and install)

- extract the assembly from the GAC (they all are prefixed by Microsoft.MapPoint...) to do this you can simply try to mount this \\127.0.0.1\c$\windows\assembly as a network drive)

- once you have every assemblies copied in your own folder, package the whole thing and then go on surface unit

- launch a batch with each line adding your assemblies to the GAC ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex0ss12c(VS.80).aspx)
It should be like this for each assembly: gacutil.exe /i MyAssemblyPath

In this way you will have all required assemblies on Surface Unit and older version of Concierge will work.
Make sure your user won't launch the VE3D via the link on the desktop, it will break older version of Concierge anyway.

If it is not clear, I will write a blog entry about it.