Surface zoom always over the center of the screen

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Hi

When I do zoom over an area of the screen this zoom is always applied over the center of the screen instead of the area where my hands are placed.

Thanks in advance

Javier

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM

This is the same behavior that Virtual Earth uses.  Try opening the browser version at http://www.bing.com/maps/, starting 3D, then using the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out.  The zooming is always to the center of the view, regardless of the location of the cursor.

It isn't possible to override this behavior.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Not to argue your answer but Concierge on Surface can do that ( don't know how.. but can do it). What about moving to the area and then zoom? Or eventually creating a sort of animation (panning the maps until the "new" center) using inertia (for panning) during the zooming process? I'm going to try soon. I let you know.

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM

That is true.  I double checked by watching some Concierge videos, and also watched some Surface Globe (from the Windows 7 Touch Pack) videos.  They both center the zoom around the gesture.  This makes sense because Surface Globe and Concierge share some code lineage, from what I have been told.

Panning for off-center zooms is probably the way to do it (unless there is an API parameter I've missed, but I don't think so.)  I haven't had time to figure out the details of that, though.  It is a little tricky because as you zoom, the speed (in terms of lat/long per second) of the panning has to change.

If you figure out a solution please post it.  I'll ping some people to see if there is an alternate solution, too.

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2010 at 5:21 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Hi,

i read, that this featrue has been implemented, but how do i use it? I can't find any property or something like that to change the zoom mode.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM

sbu,

If you have the lastest source code, then you automatic use manipulation-centered zooming. There is no property or mode to switch.

Josh