Smoothly Growing Pushpins

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM

InfoStrat's video here shows a pushpin smoothly growing at ~1:55 in. 

Is this animated growing action built into the NUI version of the control? I'm currently just working with the plain WPF version, and am having trouble reproducing this effect.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:40 AM

The is an optical illusion.  Watch it again -- the pushpins do not change size.  They fade in from 0 opacity, but stay the same size.  When you see several pushpins come out of one, that is just the standard clustering technique which is included in the control.  See some other threads in this forum to read about clustering:

http://virtualearthwpf.codeplex.com/Thread/List.aspx?SearchText=cluster

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I understand the clustering but the initial click on the pushpin still confuses me. So what you're saying is that when he clicks on the pushpin, you hide the smaller one and present the larger pushpin that has more info and a button? If so, this is a neat trick. I've tried having differently sized pushpins at the same location with different amounts of information; mine don't look as good yet, but thanks for letting me know that I'm on the right track.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM

We made a custom control that derives from VEPushPin and overrides the control template.  One of the things that class does is let you expand or collapse the content area when you push it.  It animates the width and height of a panel in the control template to the small or large size, calculated from the current content.  So no, the expanding pushpins are not using clustering or zooming. 

Edit: The expanding pushpin is not in InfoStrat.VE.