Creating Closed Polygons

May 20, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Hi I was wondering if there is a way to create a polygon (actualy collection of polygons) with the control. So far I have been able to  retreive a collection of Lat/Lon points form SQL 2008 and create a collection of polylines. I am assuming that the polylines are just drawn from point to point so it is not actualy a closed shape that can be filled. I came to this conclusion because the background property although accessible has no effect. Also, I have looked at the properties and methods exposed by the GlobeControl and I cant find anything that resembles the examples in the VE3D documentation. Mabey I am frustrated and just overlooking the needed information.

So if it is possible, can someone please point me to or post a simple example of how to create a closed polygon.

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Release 2 (see Features and RoadMap) will have better support for and examples for all the different overlay types.  Right now you'll have to reproduce things on your own using the VE3D documentation.  As a starting point, take a look at the VEMap.AddShape function. This function is only partially built out and there isn't yet any VEShape with a type of Polyline.  To do a polygon you'll need to call globeControl.Host.Geometry.AddGeometry() with the appropriate parameters.  For that, see the VE3D documentation, probably PolygonGeometry.

May 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Thanks for the very quick reply. Also, I have to thank you and your team for not only providing this asset to the dev community for free but also taking the time to actualy provide guidance as well! You guys are great! I will follow your suggestions and see what I come up with. If I can do something that has some worth, I will post it here. By the way, is there a target date set for release 2? Again thanks.

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Don't have a target date for release 2.  Sometime between July and December is the goal.  Really it will depend upon what other (paying) projects are going on and which projects we can combine development for InfoStrat.VE, since we use it anyway for our customers as well.