How to change Orientation from Globecontrol

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I tried to put the whole grid (with VE Map and Pinpoints) in a ScatterView item to Rotate it.

At first site it works fine, but sometimes it doenst work with a FlyTo and gets Blank.

I have seen dat you could turn the whole globe, inside some kind of eye view. How did you do that?
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM
The control works fine within a ScatterViewItem or anything else that will cause transformations.

You should consider having some area of the SVI outside of the map control that users can drag to move and reside the SVI. 

If you're asking about changing the orientation by touching and rotating the map itself, that is possible but we made the choice not to do it that way.  I'm considering adding that back in as an option in Release 2.
Apr 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Thanx for the reply, maybe it is my Simulator that works to slow.

It would be a nice option in future releases
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM
What was the reason behind the decision to not allowing tilt and rotate using finger gestures?  I need to provide this functionality and adding a few buttons to do it isn't as "cool" as being able to do it naturally using fingers on the Surface.  Any idea when this "Release 2" will be out?
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM
We did testing with this enabled and found that users accidentally rotated the map when they didn't want to.  Consider:  put two fingers down pretty close together, then drag them apart horizontally.  The map rotation was controlled by the rotation angle of the manipulation, so if the two fingers when originally placed had any vertical offset, when dragged horizontally this angle changes drastically can causes the map to rotate often 45-90 degrees when no rotation was intended.

We decided as a default behavior we should have rotation of the map be a separate deliberate action.  The most common actions are panning and zooming.

You don't need buttons to cause the rotation.  If you have it in a ScatterViewItem then the user can rotate any part of the SVI outside of the map and it will rotate.

Release 1.1 will have the fixes for the new VE control.  I don't know if any other features will make it in that one.  Release 2 will be later, like in a few months.  See the Features and Roadmap page.
Apr 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM
I already have the map inside the SVI.  How about tilting?  What would be a natural way to tilt using fingers w/o causing side affects like the rotating issue you just mentioned?
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM
Tommy,

Sorry I can't help you with that part.  A good gesture you might use for controlling heading and tilt will depend upon the audience, how long they will be using the application, and what else is going on in the application.

Internally we have a solution that involves switching modes, but it is not public yet.  There are other possibilities.

Just remember that what you come up with has to be discoverable to users and also not likely to be accidentally activated by novice users.
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM
joshb,
Assuming I found a nice interface to allow the user to tilt.  How do I programmatically do that?  Is there a better method than having to call "FlyTo" which I think is an overkill just to tilt the camera.  Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Use a manipulation processor like normal and have the delta event of the manipulation processor update the VEMap.Roll, Pitch, or Yaw variables.