new VE3D version breaks InfoStrat.VE

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Just an advisory, if you have updated to the latest VE3D control which was released around 4/9/2009, InfoStrat.VE will be broken for you.  I'm looking at the changed required but I don't have an ETA yet.
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Anybody knows how to download the previous version of Virtual Earth? I have the old installer, but it downloads automatically the new version each time I install it.
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM
I found it in a development machine where I had not upgraded Virtual Earth, into the folder C:\Program Files\Virtual Earth 3D.
Apr 15, 2009 at 3:27 PM
bummer...just found this awesome library and was excited to give it a shot.  I guess this is why I get the "Object not ready for use" error.

Thanks for creating these controls.  Looking forward to the fix so I can try them out!
Apr 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM
I have the same Issue - anybody having a link to download the old Version?
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM
The following code will fix the startup, there is still a NullReferenceException when you shutdown though...
Search and replace StartVERendering with this:

private void StartVERendering()
        {
            if (!isTemplateLoaded)
                return;

if (d3dImage.IsFrontBufferAvailable)
            {
                GraphicsEngine3D graphicsEngine = GetGraphicsEngine();

if (graphicsEngine != null)
                {
                    graphicsEngine.PostRender += new EventHandler(graphicsEngine_PostRender);

CreateVESurface();

veSurface = GetSourceSurfacePtr();

this.globeControl.Host.RenderEngine.Initialized += new EventHandler(RenderEngine_Initialized);

}

}
        }

void RenderEngine_Initialized(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Dispatcher.Invoke(new Action(delegate()
            {
                InvalidateVESurface();
            }));
        }

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:43 PM
I have a fix for InfoStrat.VE to use the new version, but I need to test a few more scenarios before committing the code.  It takes advantage of some of the new APIs in the new version so things are a bit cleaner. 
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Cool, do you think you'll be able to post it anytime soon? I have a demo that I need to finish by end of day...
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Pyttroll,

I won't be able to upload it until at least next week, but to fix the shutdown null reference exception, try adding this to the PublicEventsGlobeControl.cs:

Override Dispose(bool disposing)
        {
                If (IsDisposed) return;  // wpf calls this twice, and VE doesn't handle it correctly, bug :(
                Base.Dispose(disposing);
        }

That should fix that issue, but maybe not.  The rest of the fix I have affects a lot more of the code.
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Hello,

It is not working with me for the latest April SDK.

Is it from my side or new updated have been done

--
Shahbour
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM
If someone needs the old VE installer that will work with InfoStrat-VE, just give me a sign and i will send it to you.

PS: found it in one of the example application for Surface, i think it was Concierge.
Apr 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Hello toine_db

Can you please send it to ashahbour at hotmail com

Thanks
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM
for me the two fixes didn't help - the init code ist still not working.
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM
I also made the changes to StartVERendering and it does not startup.

Object is not ready for use.  If starting up, please use Host.RenderEngine.Initialized.  Alternatively, it may be already torn down or disposed.

Any ideas when you will have a release to fix?
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM
I'm doing testing on the next release including the fix this week.  I think by the end of the week I will be ready to upload it.

As a bonus, I think I'm able to resolve several of the outstanding issues (see the issue tracking tab) at the same time.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Hi Josh,

Do you think you will be able to post details of the fix here so that we can get the control working again? We have been using it well for two weeks, and now the upgrade from Microsoft has stopped us dead in our tracks and really need to get the map working again, anything you could share with us would be fantastic.

cheers

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM
Ok guys, see my new thread.

http://virtualearthwpf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=54039