Surface 2.0 Support.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Hello,

I'm currently developing some applications on Surface SDK 2.0 and would very much like to use this control. Any plans to release a version with support for surface 2.0 anytime soon? :)

Thanks in advance.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Hello,

As Microsoft has announced they will decommission Virtual Earth 3d control and the end of this year, I don't think it is a good plan to go on with this version for now.

Josh was mentioning a potential update to palliate this, but no alternatives are available to this right now,

Cheers, Ben

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I understand, but what alternatives are there if you want to visualize things on a map?

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM

There's a small update on the VE3D end of life:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtualearth3d/archive/2011/08/14/how-to-make-virtual-earth-3d-live-forever.aspx

Basically it won't stop working, and will be keeping the data servers online (since they're used by other products as well).

Regardless, we're currently working on a non VE3D alternative that will use the same or very similar API to the current InfoStrat.VE control (minus the 3D parts most likely.) The goal is to provide as close to a drop in replacement as possible with minimal code changes on your part. It will require at least a recompile though.

There are no real 3D alternatives, and even comparing some of the 2D WPF controls floating around, they're all harder to use than InfoStrat.VE.

As for the original question, the WPFTouchVEMap control is already compatible with Surface SDK 2.0. :)

Thanks,

Josh