Bing Maps 3D control has been discontinued

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM

"On November 2, 2010, the end-of-life was announced for the 3D control. Effective December 1, 2011, the 3D control will no longer function. The full announcement is found at: http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2010/11/02/changes-to-bird-s-eye-and-3d-maps.aspx"

I didn't know if many people here are aware of this, so I thought I'd post it.

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Thanks. There was a previous thread or two about it.

FYI we're currently looking into transition plans for a long term solution.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Hi Josh,

Sorry to bother your but is there already any news for a transition plan or do you know any 2D multitouch mapping solutions that we could use in Surface projects?

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM

There are some things in progress but no concrete news yet. We'll definitely have a transition in place before December though.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Any news about this ? Do you know, when the 3D control will be stopped ?

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Hi Josh Blake! Bing Maps WPF version 1 is official released now, and I've read from your blog that you will create an InfoStrat API Wrapper for it (2D). How's it going?

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 6:27 AM

MaxSharp: According to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtualearth3d/archive/2011/08/14/how-to-make-virtual-earth-3d-live-forever.aspx Microsoft has no plans to turn off the services required to use the Bing Maps 3D control, so the control and InfoStrat.VE should continue to work for now.

thenonhacker: We were planning to make a wrapper, but there turned out to be enough incompatibilities in the models between InfoStrat.VE API and the new Bing Maps WPF API that it would not provide a lot of value since it'd be an unnecessary wrapper. If you're interested in using the 2D control, I'd recommend just using it directly. The transition from InfoStrat.VE to Bing Maps WPF is not too difficult, depending upon which features you were using.