Display KML/KMZ file on Surface

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the great work in providing these libraries! I was hoping you could help me out (or point me to a forum entry I overlooked when searching for an answer): I have the ve:surfacevemap tag inside a surface scattered window, and I have several buttons on the side of it. The plan is to link the button to a KML file and overlay the map with it (or hide it). I have looked at the databinding sample, but I'm missing something: Trying to migrate the code from databinding sample, I get an error that the locations element needs to be empty. Aside from that, those pushpins are calculated and not from an outside file. I found a script to add traffic overlay (and it works), but that same logic does not work for a kml file. Can anybody help me out? Starting to feel like a real noob here:/ Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the comments.

We don't have any built-in features for KML/KMZ but there are solutions for WMS involving the Bing Maps 3D control API. You'll have to add references to the MapPoint APIs and use the VEMap.GlobeControl to get a reference to a class that derives from Microsoft.MapPoint.Rendering3D.GlobeControl.

This post might get you started on WMS layers:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtualearth3d/archive/2009/06/09/wms-data.aspx

Thanks,

Josh