2D mode of infostrat.VE map

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Hello everyone

I'm studing the component - Infostrat for two weeks time and don't see anything that could turn on 2D mode of the map.

I saw that in the beging that 3D image is eing created , rendered and so on.

Does any one of You know what kind of objects need to be created to start 2D mode of the map ?

I'm not asking for ready solution but for some guidance. Please let me know - I will publish for sure what I approached :)

or how to turn on the dashboard to change between modes

Regards

Sebastian 

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM
This control is 3D only. The 2D mode you're thinking of is a web-only feature.
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hi Josh

Thank You for response.

Yes I can see - Could You guide me a bit - how to extend it ? I understand more and more each day of the component but i need some guidance :)

Asking more general based on what info You have choosen to create partiular objects inside the component while creating it. I would read it myself, not to kill with tons of questions on forum. I'm interested especially in WPF branch if it makes difference. I focus my study of Infostrat.VE project of the component.

Regards

Sebastian

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM
Can you elaborate? You're asking for guidance but I don't know what your specific question is. There are a lot of moving parts in the control so I won't be able to help unless you tell me what specifically you are trying to do. If you mean guidance on how to implement a 2D mode -- it is not possible without writing a totally different control from scratch. Josh
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Ok I understand, I thought so that it will no happen just like that.

This what I try to do in general is :

To have a WPF user control hosted in winform usercontrol hosted in IExplorer to show the map with some extra feature.

This solution has been choosen because silverlight doesn't cooperate well with existing ( huge ) project and Your 3D works perfecly. ( using WPF I avoid using javascript for communication with Bing map or control having webbrowser inside)

Thats why there is a need for the component to show the same teritory with pushpins and expanders in 2D and that's why my question has came up.

I already added expander to pushpin as carring component for more info and works fine

I thought to my self that writing new component would not be completly from scratch as long there is working example already. In my mind I was thinking about guidance for : where to make changes and based on what topics.

Regards

Sebastian

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Your project sounds crazy. If I understand you right, your project architecture looks like this: Internet Explorer --> Winform control -------> WPF control ------------> InfoStrat.VE I don't know how the performance of that would work out. Do you realize that InfoStrat.VE internally (hidden in an off-screen window) hosts the Winform GlobeControl that Bing Maps 3D provides? There would be interop all over the place there. When you're zoomed in, you can barely tell the difference between the 3D and 2D map. If you need to you could try turning off the terrain so the map is really flat and restricting movement so you can't zoom out. Good luck.
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Yes the project structure is like that because it had to be fitted like that - WPF control is one of manu usercontrols because everything had to be in one IE window.

Existing projetc is big WebApplication and additional windows were not accepted.

The performance of that solution is good enough to continue development.

Ok thx for advice I will try that tomorrow (norvegian time)

Regards

Sebastian